Director, Operational Quality
Reporting to the Senior Director, Operational Quality & Resident Experience, this role is responsible for leading teams to improve clinical, quality of care, resident safety, and resident/family experience outcomes across Extendicare’s Resident Care Division. The Director, Operational Quality is a leader who supports an interprofessional team in advancing Extendicare’s vision of becoming the best seniors’ care and services organization in Canada.
This role will work in partnership with the other Operational Quality & Resident Experience leaders; Resident Care leaders (e.g., Regional Directors, Administrators, Directors of Care); the Senior Director, Corporate Quality & Risk, and other corporate departments to ensure the successful implementation of care standards, best practices, and continuous improvement opportunities resulting in high-quality care and an exceptional resident experience.
Quality, Safety & Practice:
- Coach and direct the interprofessional quality consultant team to collaborate and partner with Homes to ensure that best practices, evidence-informed practices, and regulatory standards are above the minimum standard
- In collaboration with operational teams and Corporate Quality & Risk, participate in resident safety incident reviews and Quality of Care reviews, including identification of contributing factors and implementation of improvement initiatives that address systems and process gaps
- In partnership with operational leadership & Corporate Quality & Risk, oversee the proactive identification of enterprise risks and support the implementation of mitigation plans in alignment with the organization’s enterprise risk framework
Training & Education:
- Provide direction and oversight of the quality consultant team in building a just resident safety and continuous learning culture through oversight of the following:
- Resident safety incident reviews including identification of contributing factors and action plans for improvement that address systems and process gaps
- Hardwiring the Accreditation Canada quality assurance framework that is based on Accreditation Canada standards and ensuring alignment with any provincial and national regulatory requirements
- Development, implementation, and oversight of clinical training content in partnership with operational leaders and the corporate quality & risk team
- Knowledge translation of best practice standards for nursing, personal support, clinical dietetics, physiotherapy, social work, occupational therapy, therapeutic recreation, food services, housekeeping, building maintenance, etc. with the goal of improving operational effectiveness
Continuous Quality Improvement:
- Creating followership and setting direction among the quality consultant team to develop a continuous learning and high-performance culture through:
- Analysis and dissemination of quality and clinical performance data at the Home and regional levels
- Providing oversight on the execution of quality improvement initiatives that follow a disciplined QI methodology and can be scaled as a best practice across the Division
- Undergraduate degree required; Registered Nursing degree preferred
- Master’s degree in a relevant field including but not limited to a health-related discipline, quality, health administration, and/or leadership preferred
- Registered with the provincial regulatory body and in good standing
- 7-10 years’ experience in progressive positions, ideally in healthcare operations, and/or seniors’ care, with a minimum of three years in formal leadership positions
- Formal training/education and/or expertise in quality improvement theory, methodologies, and science
- Experience in overseeing improvement initiatives that require partnership with diverse stakeholder groups
- Ability to analyze performance data to inform decision-making and improve outcomes
- Ability to present and report to a wide range of internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to understand, apply and integrate legislative, regulatory, and quality assurance frameworks related to healthcare and seniors’ care
- Experience in leading and building high-functioning teams
- Excellent interpersonal skills in consensus-building, negotiation, and conflict resolution
- Excellent presentation, oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated experience with change management and project management
- Passion for person-centered care, culture change, and service excellence
- Ability to travel across the assigned province; some national travel may be required
To express your interest in this exciting leadership opportunity, please submit your cover letter and resume, in confidence.
For additional information or a confidential conversation email Hayley Becker (email@example.com) or call 647-267-8170.
Extendicare and Mirams Becker are committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace; we welcome applications from women, Indigenous peoples, racially visible individuals, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ2S+ persons. Extendicare is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the bona-fide requirements for the open position. If contacted for this employment opportunity, please advise if you require any accommodation.