Senior Director, Nursing Practice and Education
Unity Health Toronto is one of Canada’s largest Catholic healthcare networks situated throughout the most populous city in the Nation. We serve patients, residents and clients across the full spectrum of care, spanning primary care, secondary community care, tertiary and quaternary care services to post-acute through rehabilitation, palliative care and long-term care, while investing in world-class research and education. As an organization we are led by our mission to provide compassionate physical, emotional and spiritual care to all in need and we do this through advancing world-class education, research and innovation while centering in our efforts individuals and communities that experience disadvantage in access to care services.
Unity Health Toronto is comprised of St. Joseph’s Health Centre, St. Michael’s Hospital & Providence Healthcare. As a health network we are bound together by our vision: The best care experiences. Created together.
Reporting to the Executive Vice President, Programs and Chief Nursing and Health Disciplines Officer, the Senior Director, Nursing Practice and Education will form a key part of a dedicated leadership team charged with overseeing interprofessional teams and interdisciplinary roles across Unity Health to support all clinical staff in the delivery of safe, competent, ethical person/patient-focused care. In contributing to the oversight of professional practice the Senior Director will define, influence, and support all aspects of clinical care provision in alignment with the mission, vision, and values of Unity Health Toronto. In achieving this, the successful incumbent will work collaboratively across the organization to set standards of care delivery, define clinical roles, scope of practice, performance expectations and accountabilities of clinical staff. This collaborative work will encompass all domains of practice inclusive of clinical care, education, research and leadership.
The Senior Director of Nursing Practice and Education is the primary Nursing management and leadership role and is responsible for nursing practice and education across Unity Health. Working in collaboration with counterparts of the Interprofessional Practice Department, the Senior Director will lead and model for their team members to act as a resource, advocate, facilitator, and coordinator in all matters of Nursing professional practice and education. The Senior Director will lead the development of the Nursing profession for 3000 nurses at Unity Health Toronto by establishing a vision and strategic plan for the profession and leading the adoption of a Professional Practice Framework. The incumbent of the Senior Director role will play a key role in the development, implementation, and evaluation of evidence-based interventions, knowledge translation, and dissemination activities that align with Unity Health Toronto’s strategic direction.
- Current registration in the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Master's Degree in Nursing/Health Discipline required
- Demonstrated advanced level knowledge of relevant legislation, regulations, and standards of practice in Nursing
- Recent related experience in a progressive academic health sciences centre, with a minimum of five years in the field of Nursing practice/education and academic experience
- Minimum of three years experience in a management role
- Appointment, or eligibility for appointment, with the University of Toronto
- Experience indicative of an ability to shape and implement a vision, and manage organizational and system change necessary to improve health through innovation in practice
- Previous accomplishments include advancing Nursing practice through establishing good working relationships with the physicians, community partners, academic partners, and other program or service providers through demonstration of exemplary partnership, consensus-building, conflict resolution, and negotiating skills
- Demonstrated commitment to professional and staff development and to the enhancement of academic excellence for nurses, which includes creating dynamic learning environments within a hospital environment
- Demonstrated excellent facilitation, conflict resolution, and oral and written communication skills
- As a highly visible, driven, and charismatic leader for Nursing, has a strong track record of establishing external relationships, which facilitate and enhance the image of Nursing at a regional and national level
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with professional colleagues, within and across professions
- A passion for excellence, which elevates the abilities and competencies of the various patient care providers
- A strong and effective advocate for Nursing who is able to clearly articulate nursing-specific issues in the context of an academic health science center
To express your interest in this exciting leadership opportunity, please submit your cover letter and resume, in confidence. For additional information or a confidential conversation email Hayley Becker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Unity Health Toronto and Mirams Becker are committed to creating an environment where all of our people feel welcome and valued while being themselves. We encourage applications from qualified candidates and especially welcome applicants who are Indigenous, Black or Racialized, persons with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTQ2+, and all others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. We are committed to accessibility in the candidate application and selection process. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process, providing the applicant has met the requirements of the vacant position. Applicants are asked to please make their accommodation requirements known when contacted.