Healthcare Insurance Reciprocal of Canada
HIROC (Healthcare Insurance Reciprocal of Canada) is the leading provider of healthcare liability insurance and risk management services for not-for profit healthcare entities and professionals in Canada. As a trusted, diverse, inclusive, dynamic and innovative healthcare safety advisor, HIROC, through its Reciprocal, full- service brokerage, Foundation and other associated entities (HIROC Group), provides its Subscribers with a full spectrum of insurance, risk and claims management products and supports.
HIROC knows healthcare through its commitment to shared learning and through its role as the largest not-for-profit healthcare liability insurer in the country. Combined with sage counsel and risk management solutions, HIROC works with its Subscribers and partners to increase safety.
Since its inception in 1987, HIROC has grown from under 50 Subscribers to more than 700 healthcare entities and their associated sites and healthcare professionals in Canada. Committed to sound financial management and service to its Subscribers, HIROC has returned over $200 million to the healthcare system. HIROC’s thirty-plus years of data and associated analytical capacity combine with its extensive experience to advise and share learnings, all with the goal of scaling knowledge and increasing safety across Canada’s healthcare system.
One common thread running through HIROC’s culture is the feeling of being part of something unique: partnering to create the safest healthcare system – HIROC’s vision.
Every person joining HIROC has the opportunity to find their calling and help build a stronger organization designed to meet the needs of its Subscribers and their colleagues in the Reciprocal. As a Top 100 GTA Employer five years running, HIROC employees enjoy competitive compensation including world leading benefits programs and are empowered to find solutions and create amazing experiences in service to our Subscribers.
Join us and be part of the team working to make a difference.
HIROC has a record of over 99% Subscriber retention and has also benefited from substantive growth. With that in mind, HIROC is committed to growing its financial leadership team to meet the increasing and more diverse needs of its Subscribers and to maintain and enhance its best-in-class leadership capacity. This role offers a significant opportunity for advancement. The successful applicant will join two dynamic and experienced leaders, specifically the V.P. Finance and Director of Finance & Operations, to form the Senior Leadership team of HIROC’s Finance Department.
As a key member of this Senior Finance team, the successful candidate will be responsible for leading a stellar team of financial professionals to accomplish all HIROC Group Entities’ financial strategy, oversight and reporting objectives. The candidate will also collaborate with HIROC’s senior leadership team to accomplish all of HIROC’s strategic objectives. Members of HIROC’s leadership team lead their respective departments and also have direct accountability for the leadership of HIROC as a whole.
With these significant leadership opportunities and accountabilities, the successful candidate will have demonstrated effective people and leadership skills and aptitude, excellent communication skills and be a self-starter who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment. The ideal candidate will be comfortable operating in a mid-sized agile organization, is process-oriented, and has a strong finance/accounting foundation, preferably with Insurance industry experience.
The successful candidate will, in addition to their general leadership and oversight roles, provide financial reporting and advisory support to internal and external stakeholders. Responsibilities include:
- Oversight and accountability for the monthly and quarterly financial statement reporting processes and annual audit requirements;
- Liaising with external auditors, actuaries, reinsurers, investment managers, HIROC’s board of directors and our Subscribers
- Shared oversight and accountability in relation to financial systems, surplus management, investment reporting, budgeting, internal audit, special programs
- Assisting, with internal and external resources, the implementation of new financial reporting standards including IFRS 17; and
- Such other special projects and responsibilities as may arise from the accomplishment of HIROC and Finance Department’s strategic goals.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The successful candidate will have:
- Demonstrated leadership initiative and have a desire to learn and develop in a collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- The ability to partner and communicate effectively with various stakeholders such as senior leadership group, external investment managers, regulators, board of directors and Subscribers.
Education, Training & Experience
- To qualify, candidates must have a CPA designation;
- At least 5-7 years of progressive work experience in accounting/finance functions or equivalent experience.
- Experience in the Insurance industry is strongly preferred (either directly with an Insurance company or in public accounting focused on Insurance engagements) with knowledge and competence in current and developing IFRS Insurance reporting standards.
To express your interest in this leadership opportunity, please submit your cover letter and resume. For additional information please contact Hayley Becker at 647-267-8170.
For more information on HIROC visit https://www.hiroc.com
Follow Mirams Becker at https://www.linkedin.com/company/mirams-becker
HIROC is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders, including our Subscribers, employees, job applicants, suppliers, the public and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information, or use our services. As an organization, we respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and its associated standards and regulations and will ensure that we offer a safe and welcoming environment that is respectful of each person's dignity and independence.
As an organization, HIROC is dedicated to meeting the needs of individuals with disabilities in a timely manner. We understand that providing a barrier-free environment is a shared effort, and as an organization, we are committed to working with the necessary parties to make accessibility a reality for all.