Hamilton Health Sciences (HHS) is a community of 15,000 staff, physicians, residents, researchers, and volunteers that proudly serves southwestern Ontario. As Ontario’s most comprehensive healthcare system, and the only provider in the province with care from pre-birth to end of life, we offer endless opportunities. Our multi-site hospital network has over 1,400 beds and offers world-leading expertise in many areas, including cardiac and stroke care, cancer care, palliative care, and pediatrics.
We are the largest employer in the greater Hamilton region and play a vital role in training the next generation of health professionals in collaboration with our academic partners including McMaster University and Mohawk College. We are a world-renowned hospital for healthcare research—ranked fourth in Canada—and we focus on improving the quality of care for our patients through innovation and evidence-based practices. Our culture of exploration and innovation has attracted top research talent from across Canada and beyond, and HHS has been recognized as one of Canada’s top employers for young people and as a top employer for the Hamilton/Niagara region for 2022.
Vice President of Finance and Deputy Chief Financial Officer
An integral member of the executive leadership team, the Vice President of Finance and Deputy Chief Financial Officer is responsible for strategic direction and oversight for the sustainable financial and operating health and well-being of HHS (Health Services and Research), enabling and supporting its ability to provide the cost-effective high-quality care to patients and their families, while collaborating with internal and external system partners and leaders.
In addition to the strategic components, the VP is charged with developing and implementing financial policies and procedures. Ensures mission-critical support for current and future state financial accountability, reporting and fiscal management, in-year objectives and corporate projects. Long-Range Plan (LRP) for capital, debt and cash flow. Annual financial, operating and capital planning cycles and management. Sound treasury policies and cash management supporting a complex financial structure that includes various financial instruments. Provides leadership and guidance to the controllership, treasury and oversite of $650M of investments. Executive sponsor of HHS Unified Data, Data Governance and Corporate Planning and Management projects helping ensure we understand data requirements, storage and deliver integrated analytics supporting efficient, quality patient outcomes.
- Business or Accounting degree mandatory
- CPA required
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in a senior management role with a track record of progressive executive leadership in all aspects of financial leadership in healthcare, specifically an academic health or hospital environment.
- A respected leader and developer of people, who has a reputation for cultivating an inclusive and collaborative team environment.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Strong mentoring, and coaching experience to a team with diverse types and levels of expertise
- Superior management skills with the ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Self-reliant problem solver with a results orientation
- Maintains standards of performance, understand and use statistical and financial methods to set or monitor goals and measures for organizational performance, both operational and financial.
- Use data and information to progress toward desired results to course correct and adapt processes to achieve those results
- Dynamic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical finance and administration initiatives
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to work effectively with senior management, HHS board of directors, providers and staff
- Ability to navigate Socio-Political environments
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker
- Understand how operations and business success are affected by finance practices and associated services
- Align strategy with structure, culture and skills; integrate information from various sources and balance the use of evidence with experience
To express your interest in this exciting leadership opportunity, please submit your cover letter and resume, in confidence.
For additional information or a confidential conversation email Hayley Becker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hamilton Health Sciences and Mirams Becker are committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace; we welcome applications from women, racially visible individuals, people with disabilities, Indigenous peoples, and LGBTQ2S+ persons. Hamilton Health Sciences is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the bonafide requirements for the open position. If contacted for this employment opportunity, please advise if you require any accommodation.