Vice President, Information Technology Services – HIROC
HIROC (Healthcare Insurance Reciprocal of Canada) is the leading provider of healthcare liability insurance and risk management services for not-for profit healthcare entities and professionals in Canada. As a trusted, diverse, inclusive, dynamic and innovative healthcare safety advisor, HIROC, through its Reciprocal, full- service brokerage, Foundation and other associated entities (HIROC Group), provides its Subscribers with a full spectrum of insurance, risk and claims management products and supports. HIROC knows healthcare through its commitment to shared learning and through its role as the largest not-for-profit healthcare liability insurer in the country. Combined with sage counsel and risk management solutions, HIROC works with its Subscribers and partners to increase safety.
Since its inception in 1987, HIROC has grown from under 50 Subscribers to more than 700 healthcare entities and their associated sites and healthcare professionals in Canada. Committed to sound financial management and service to its Subscribers, HIROC has returned over $200 million to the healthcare system. HIROC’s thirty-plus years of data and associated analytical capacity combine with its extensive experience to advise and share learnings, all with the goal of scaling knowledge and increasing safety across Canada’s healthcare system.
Vice President, Information Technology Services
HIROC has a record of over 99% Subscriber retention and has also benefited from substantive growth. With that in mind, HIROC is committed to continuing its strategic and exciting approach to innovation based on a grounding in data and digital capacity – all while focusing on data integrity, analysis, agility and responsive data governance and security. This focus on data, innovation, growth and excellence are key leadership priorities for the VP Information Technology Services. This role is integral to HIROC’s commitment to meeting the increasing and more diverse needs of its Subscribers and to maintain and enhance its best-in-class leadership capacity. This role will report directly to the Chief Executive Officer.
As the leader of the Information Technology Service Department, the successful candidate will be responsible for leading a stellar team consisting of infrastructure, applications, advance analytics, project governance and other information service professionals to build HIROC’s capacity for innovation and agility; in transforming HIROC’s digital capabilities and strategy, our practices and our thinking to enable and support a culture of innovation in service to the needs of our customers and our vision. The Vice President, Information Technology Services will be a member of HIROC’s senior leadership team and contribute to the development of the organization’s strategic and operational plans and objectives. Members of HIROC’s leadership team lead their respective departments and also have direct accountability for the leadership of HIROC as a whole.
With these significant leadership opportunities and accountabilities, the successful candidate will have demonstrated effective people and leadership skills and aptitude, excellent communication skills and be a self-starter who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment. The ideal candidate will be comfortable operating in a mid-sized agile organization, is process-oriented, and experienced in initiating a culture transformation focused on defining and embedding new beliefs and behaviours that will drive innovation; modernizing/sustaining structures and processes to enable resilience and support innovation in meeting customer needs; and advancing digital and analytics capabilities to leverage the power of information for improvement.
The successful candidate will, in addition to their general leadership, strategic and oversight roles:
- Promote and build a positive corporate culture and demonstrate coaching/mentorship
Lead by example and champion solutions to foster a culture of service and innovation;
- Foster an environment of advanced analytics to support the global healthcare and insurance environments, and proactively identify opportunities to improve HIROC’s already considerable products and services;
- Lead corporate-wide strategies and technological advances to:
o Support all HIROC Departments with improvement initiatives for HIROC’s performance;
o Support the advancement of HIROC analytics and provide management of HIROC’s data to enable healthcare safety and reduce harm;
o Maximize the experience of Subscribers and employees; and
o Develop strategic partnerships, vendor management; and
o Drive/sustain growth.
• Conduct or commission Subscriber feedback and market research to understand and identify new business development opportunities; contribute to developing leads and writing proposals;
- Provide direction and support for Information Technology Services to ensure that current and planned technical architecture, investments and solutions are aligned with HIROC’s strategic objectives;
- Develop and oversee the Information Technology Services strategy encompassing data solutions, knowledge translation, decision support, artificial intelligence capacity, enterprise data warehouse, and data and cyber resilience;
- Champion a portfolio management approach to project management and ensure consistent discipline and methodology in achieving project, strategic and innovation goals.
- Other special projects and responsibilities as may arise to achieve HIROC’s strategic goals.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
The successful candidate will have:
- Executive-level leadership skills including financial planning, human resources management, organizational development, vendor management and customer service;
- Strong and demonstrated technical, analytic, project and strategic abilities
- Strong staff development, coaching and mentoring skills;
- Strong skills in planning and operationalizing complex projects and achieving results;
- An innovative and creative thinker who is open to different approaches to resolve issues;
- Demonstrated leadership abilities and have a desire to learn and develop in a collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- The ability to partner and communicate effectively with various stakeholders such as the senior leadership group, boards of directors, government organizations, vendors and Subscribers.
- Executive presence with polished and well developed written and oral communication skills
- Experience liaising with Board of Directors, including knowledge and experience of governance best practice standards
- Strong business acumen, strategic planning, organizational, and creative thinking skills
- Passion for creating the safest health care system possible for Canadians
EDUCATION, TRAINING & EXPERIENCE:
A Bachelor’s degree (A Master’s Degree would be preferred) in Information Services/Technology, business, engineering, healthcare or a related field with training/experience in planning, budgeting, policy development, quantitative and qualitative methods, IT/IS infrastructure, governance and business applications.
Consideration will be given to candidates that have an equivalent mix of education, experience and expertise
8+ years of experience working in senior leadership roles, including experience in developing and implementing new strategies and technological advances and leading teams;
Comprehensive understanding and technical knowledge of current information and technology systems, hardware, cyber resilience, technical protocols, and wise practices;
Comprehensive experience working with vendors
Project Management certificate or related training;
Experience in the Healthcare and the Insurance industry considered an asset
To express interest in this exciting opportunity, please submit your cover letter and resume, in confidence.
For a conversation in confidence, please contact Hayley Becker, Partner firstname.lastname@example.org
HIROC and Mirams Becker are committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders, including its participants, employees, job applicants, suppliers, the public and any visitors who may enter its premises, access its information, or use its services. As an organization, HIROC respects and upholds the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and its associated standards and regulations and will ensure that HIROC offers a safe and welcoming environment that is respectful of each person's dignity and independence.